Saturday, January 12, 2013

Anointed by the Ancestors?


Ancestors
 "Suddenly all my ancestors are behind me. Be still, they say. Watch and listen. You are the result of the love of thousands.” ― Linda Hogan, Dwellings: A Spiritual History of the Living World

The druidic tradition (among many others - just the one in my mind at the moment) makes a huge point of  honoring one's ancestors - those we know and remember, those we know of only in story (or those hidden in the lost annals of our geneology), and those who have paved the spiritual path we walk. I am the product of many generations of love and tears and sweat and sacrifice.  As are you. To those who are behind me... Thank you. 


I've recently been feeling the weight of the multitude from whom I descend.  I feel their hands on me.  A little squeeze of the shoulder, a poke or prod to go in a new direction.  This year is different.  This year has something impressive waiting for me.  Don't ask me how I know - maybe it got whispered in my ear. 

Anointing
So now I claim it, this anointing.  There is a purpose and a path and a plan.  This is no blind curve to ride with bated breath.  This is more than just a journey.  This is my legacy.  I will build it and invite others to build with me.  I will leave something behind - perhaps not a physical something, but I will have an impact.  I will leave my corner of the universe better than when I found it.  What more this anointing entails I do not know yet, but I claim the purification and answer the call. Let this year bear its fruit.

2 comments:

  1. I love that! "I will leave my corner of the universe better than I found it."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gemmi, I'm so glad that my words stuck with you.

    ReplyDelete